Optimal Fitness Choices: Creatine and Protein Powder

Optimal Fitness Choices: Creatine and Protein Powder

Dive deep into the science and correct usage of Creatine and Protein Powder in fitness.

Believe it or not, only two fitness supplements proven to be effective, and they cost just $10-$30. Let me tell you in confidence, with just this small investment, you can achieve excellent fitness results. Though I’m not an athlete, sounds great, right?

Welcome! The market is flooded with various fitness supplements like BCAA, Carb Blockers, CLA, L-glutamine, βAlanin, etc. However, most of these are not scientifically proven to be effective. Creatine and Protein Powder are exceptions. This article will focus on these two legendary supplements.

Exploring the Magical Effects of Creatine

Creatine is a nitrogenous organic acid naturally found in animals, aiding in energy supply to muscles and the nervous system. It is primarily synthesized in the liver, with 95% stored in skeletal muscles and the remaining 5% in the brain, heart, liver, kidneys, and testes. Most people get creatine from foods like beef, but to enhance athletic performance, an intake of at least 5g is required, whereas 100g of beef contains just 0.9g. Hence, creatine supplements are a better choice.

The most well-known benefit of creatine supplements is their ability to enhance strength and muscle growth. In 2017, the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) confirmed the efficacy and safety of Creatine in sports and medicine. Additionally, creatine is effective in neuroprotection, anti-aging, special medical conditions, and pregnancy.

Regarding athletic performance, a 2003 study by Dr. Jeff S. Volek showed significant improvements in power, body weight, and muscle in the creatine group compared to the placebo group in a 4-week weight training program followed by a 2-week deload. My personal long-term use of Creatine has significantly enhanced my strength and muscle growth.

Protein Powder: Essential Nutritional Supplement for Fitness

Protein powder is a nutritional supplement suitable for specific needs. Types include soy protein, casein, and whey protein, derived from soybeans, milk, sheep’s milk, and cheese. Soy protein is ideal for lactose intolerants or vegetarians, casein for pre-sleep consumption, and whey protein for post-training intake.

The effectiveness of protein powder lies in its protein content. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends 1.2 to 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, or 0.5 to 0.8 grams per pound, for muscle mass increase and performance enhancement, which is much higher than the amount needed for basic health. A 2016 study by McMaster University further confirmed the importance of protein in fitness.

I personally seldom use protein powder due to lactose intolerance and preference for solid food. Fitness doesn’t necessarily require protein powder; its main advantage is convenience. It’s not essential but a convenient choice.

Finally, remember, supplements can help achieve better results, but they’re not miracle cures. Focus on diet, sleep, and training. Supplements are just the tip of the iceberg in fitness success.”